Wednesday 19 June 2013

t-1

We're down to the final countdown! 

We've had a very busy few weeks since I last wrote. We've had the fullest social calendar that we've had in a long time as we have tried to say goodbye to as many people as possible. Thank you to all of you that have managed to squeeze us in. It's been so hard to say goodbye, it's made us realize how many lovely friends we have.
As well as this we have both been winding down at work and finally finished last Friday. Having both spent the last 6 years in our jobs I think Friday was a day of very mixed emotions. I know I was caught very much between excitement at moving forward, and onto something very different, and sadness. I was leaving a job that I have loved, in all it's different forms, and some wonderful colleagues, some who have become very dear friends and I shall miss so much.
Our two final weekends have been spent with family, making the most of our precious last moments and gathering as many photographs as I can manage.`


And now we find ourselves in our final week, very much looking forward. The 'magic men' arrived bright and early on Monday morning and very rapidly began boxing up our lives. In the meantime we, very optimistically, threw everything we hadn't yet packed, that we didn't want in the container, onto the bed. By the end of the day we had a huge mountain of stuff on the bed and decided we'd wave the magic wand the following day. Unbelievably it did all go into our bags with room to spare. I think at least one of the bags has the same properties as Mary Poppins' carpet bag!
It's actually been a rather relaxing few days. Steph has been staying at my Mum's since Sunday, thank you Mum, which has given Andy and I the chance to get organized. We've finally sorted the utilities, which proved more challenging than we thought. It seems most web sites for these things don't have 'I want to cancel my.........' buttons. We've also managed to loose several (important!) things and find them again, which does leave us in a quandary as to who should be in charge of the important documents when we fly tomorrow, not sure either of us can be trusted! (It seems what organizational abilities I had seem to have disappeared along with my one remaining brain cell, I blame 'the bump'.)
The grand cleaning mission has also started but in a very relaxed way as we can't do much until the men disappear. I've also finally had time to sit down long enough to write this, albeit sitting in the car :-) 
We took advantage of a child free evening yesterday and lack of anything to cook with in the kitchen and had an evening at Nirvana Spa. Highly unusual for us to do something like that and sit still long enough to enjoy it but it was lovely and so relaxing. Just what we needed. :)
Our container arrived just before lunch today, that really is like a tardis! Everything is just disappearing into it. Once it's packed we shall do a quick final clean and then head to the estate agents with the keys. Goodbye house, it's hard to believe we've been here 11 years.

Our final part of the day is to go to Mum's and enjoy a relaxing evening with her and Becks.

Then it really is goodbye as we head to Heathrow first thing in the morning...........

1 comment:

  1. It was lovely to see you on the meal out on Monday. So excited for you and your new adventure and new life, in many ways, beginning in Colorado. I am sure that it will be a fantastic start to another wonderful set of memories, and I am sure a year will fly by,
    I hope you had a smooth journey over, and you are now enjoying settling for a bit in your temp home.
    Happy house hunting, hope you have a fun looking at new homes and exploring, and enjoy watching other people unpack. ;-)
    Enjoy the sunshine, and a bit of relaxation where you can.
    Looking forward to your next update. Xo

    ReplyDelete